Pennsylvania workers who suffer an injury on the job understand how difficult it can be to get the help and support needed to get better and more forward. While most workers are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits in the event of a workplace accident, few fully understand their rights or know what to expect from the process. It is smart to know how the workers’ compensation process works.
In addition to knowing how to file a claim, you may also find it beneficial to learn about what you can expect from your employer. There are certain requirements that employers have to meet regarding workers’ compensation. Failure to meet them and provide you with the right support can impact your claim and affect your recovery.
What does the boss have to do?
One of the ultimate requirements of employers is to carry adequate workers’ compensation insurance. Not having full coverage or not having coverage at all is not only illegal for many employers, it is also affects your security as a worker. In addition to having insurance, you can also expect your employer to do the following things:
- Put a notice of workers’ compensation insurance coverage and proper procedures in a place where workers will be able to see it easily
- File all necessary paperwork and injury report with the appropriate workers’ compensation office
- Provide medical attention if the worker cannot find a doctor
- Call for emergency medical treatment in the immediate aftermath of a serious workplace accident
- Cooperate with requests from the injured worker or the workers’ compensation office if they need additional information
The above are all things that an employer should do, but there are a few things that he or she should not do. For example, an employer cannot keep you from filing a claim, and he or she should not discourage you from seeking appropriate compensation. Additionally, employers cannot retaliate by firing or treating injured workers unfairly when they seek rightful compensation after a work injury.
How to get what you deserve
Getting the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve is not always easy. Even with a clear case and a valid injury, you may find it difficult to navigate the claims process. Injured workers often find it helpful to seek the counsel of an attorney experienced in workers’ comp claims. You have the right to fight for the maximum amount of benefits you need to recover.